With the combined goodness of sunflower seeds, flax seeds, coconut, raw sugar, and ghee, these are power houses of nutrition. These energy balls make for a great addition to a meal or serve as a great snack as is!
Ingredients (makes around 15 small rounds):
- Sunflower seeds (1/4 cup)
- Desiccated coconut (1/2 cup)
- Flax seeds (1 tbsp) (optional)
- Milk powder (1 tbsp) (optional)
- Raw turbinado sugar (a little more than 1/4 cup)
- Sea salt (a pinch)
- Cardamom powder (elaichi) (1/4 tsp)
- Ghee (2 tbsp)
- Toast the seeds and coconut separately, one by one.
- Grind the ingredients together, until you reach a consistency that you like.
- Make balls using your palms. If needed, you may add some ghee to make the process of shaping the balls easier.
- Refrigerate for a few minutes, if you think that the balls need some help in retaining their shape. These are good at room temperature for up to a week.
Sweet (sunflower seeds, coconut, milk, sugar, ghee), sour (none), salty (salt), bitter (flax seed), pungent (cardamom), astringent (sunflower seeds).
This can be a kapha provoking dish if consumed in excess due to the heavy, sweet ingredients like seeds, coconut, sugar, and milk powder. Flax seeds tend to be pitta provoking in excess. Ghee is tridoshic.
These are sattvic when made fresh and consumed in moderation.