On some days, a tall glass of freshly made fruit smoothie is what the body and soul desires! On such days, I like making this digestive smoothie – a rainbow of different fruit like fresh apple, orange, strawberry, kiwi, vegetables like carrot and cucumber with digestive ginger, cumin and Himalayan pink salt – tasty, tangy, healthy and so refreshing!
Ingredients (makes 4 tall glasses of smoothie):
- Apple (I used 1 medium sized Fuji apple)
- Orange (I used 1 large navel orange)
- Kiwi fruit (1)
- Strawberries (4)
- Cucumber (I used 1 Persian cucumber)
- Carrot (I used 1 thin orange carrot)
- Coriander leaves (a handful)
- Ginger (a small piece)
- Lemon (a small wedge)
- Roasted cumin (jeera) powder (1/2 tsp)
- Himalayan pink salt (to taste)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Raw turbinado sugar/jaggery/honey (optional – to taste)
- Wash all the fruit well.
- Peel the apple, orange, kiwi, cucumber, carrot, ginger.
- Squeeze a dash of lemon, add all the ingredients (don’t add honey now, if you are using it – add it in the end) and blend well with enough water to reach a drinkable consistency that you are comfortable with. I don’t use ice, since cold drinks will just douse the digestive fire. I prefer my smoothie to be at room temperature. Also, I use my Vitamix blender for this.
- Pour into glasses and serve immediately.
Sweet (apple, orange, strawberry, carrot), sour (orange, lemon, kiwi), salty (sea salt, pink salt), bitter (coriander leaves, kiwi), pungent (ginger, cumin), astringent (cucumber, coriander leaves).
Presence of digestives like ginger, Himalayan pink salt and cumin enhances the digestibility of this fruit smoothie. Grinding the fruits in their entirety enhances the fiber content of this beverage. Also the process of grinding the fruits eases digestibility of the ingredients. Needless to mention, it is a good change in pace to “drink” your fruit sometimes and kids end up consuming more fruit in this way. This is a relatively tridoshic drink.
This is a sweet, nourishing, mildly flavored drink that increases sattva in the body and mind.