Acne or pimples is an inflammation of the sebaceous glands in the skin. It is characterized by inflamed pustules, oily skin, infected cysts and scarring in severe cases. Acne is a high pitta problem. Causes could be stress, hormonal changes, incorrect foods, excessive sun exposure, infection, allergies, certain medications etc.
- Eliminate or minimize the following food items from the diet – refined sugar, chocolate, dairy, meat, fried foods, junk and processed foods, salty foods, soda.
- Keep skin clean and use a pH balanced soap for cleansing.
- Avoid makeup since it clogs pores.
- Follow a pitta pacifying lifestyle i.e. prefer cooling foods and lifestyle, avoid spicy, fermented, sour foods and alcohol, hydrate yourself well, avoid too much exercise, avoid over heating, avoid excessive sun exposure, go to sleep early at night (by 10pm).
- Adopt a yoga, pranayama, meditation and/or relaxation practice that suits your personality and lifestyle and incorporate it into your schedule.
Home Remedies (use one or more as appropriate):
- Make a paste of turmeric powder (antibacterial) and sandalwood powder (cooling) (1:1 proportion). Mix it with milk or water and apply on affected areas. Let it dry and wash with cool water.
- Mix 1 tsp lime juice in 1 tsp finely ground cinnamon powder and apply topically.
- Crush a few garlic cloves (antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-fungal) and apply on the acne.
- Grate cucumber and apply over the affected parts, keep it on for 15-20 mins and then wash it with cool water.
- Extract fresh cabbage (nutritive, healing) juice and apply over affected areas.
- Rub some melon (cooling) on the skin at bedtime, leave it on overnight and wash in the morning.
To be ingested:
- A tea made with cumin, coriander, fennel (1:1:1 proportion) in hot water, sipped throughout the day can help balance the doshas. Soak 1/3 tsp of each of the seeds in 3 cups of hot water for 10 minutes, strain and drink through the day in small portions.
- Drink 1/2 a cup of pure aloe vera juice twice a day.
- Place 1/2 tsp of amla (indian gooseberry) powder on the tongue before bedtime daily and wash it down with warm water to keep the colon clean.
Yoga Poses and Pranayama (Breathing techniques):
Twists like Ardhamatsyendrasana (Fish pose), Natarajasana (Shiva pose), Trikonasana (Triangle pose) are good. Simhasana (Lion pose) is also good. Shitali or Shitkari pranayama is good. Breathing through left nostril only for a few minutes is good to help reduce acne.
If you want to receive automatic updates about posts like these, please like us on our FB page: